Sunday, April 17, 2011

The Fall that started it All...

On Wednesday, April 13th, my dad fell and hit his head at the Sports Mall gym while coming out of the whirlpool. No one saw him fall but several men heard him. They ran to him and could not find a pulse or see him breathing. After about one minute of CPR he was breathing again. The men called 911 and he was rushed to the hospital. At the IHC emergency room it was determined he had a skull fracture and concussion. When he was taken to the ICU later and after two CAT Scans we were given the information that he had internal bleeding on the brain as well, and there was nothing we could do but hope that it stopped. Mom and Aunt Julie stayed at the ICU all night while the rest of us tried to get some sleep (ya right). 

After a long and very stressful night we returned to the hospital. There was to be another morning CAT scan, however he was doing better neurologically so it was postponed to the afternoon. The afternoon CAT scan reported the bleeding had slowed (so there was more but not too much) but there was hope it had stopped. Thursday was a very looooooooooong day; lots of waiting, thinking and worrying. However, the main event that stood out in my mind was the ward fast. I say ward fast but I know other people (Kristen and family in Missouri! and others) who fasted and were thinking of us as well. There was an overwhelming sense of love and comfort abounding the room. It was a peaceful memory (one I hope we don't all have to repeat often!) and it was, as Tom Coleman said, what the Gospel is all about...coming together, serving and loving others.

Friday and Saturday we saw progress. Dad started recognizing people and remembering things such as the gender of Tiffany and Clay's baby, the date, the month, asking for water and other little phrases and sentences. He had physical therapy and the physical therapist and nurse helped him walk around the ICU, had him kick specific legs (he knows right from left), and had him sitting in a chair, etc. Physical Therapy lasts about 30 minutes a session. He was also able to brush his teeth and swallow little bits if ice. He currently has a feeding tube. Today he wasn't doing worse, but not better either, just the same. The CAT scan reported little change from before. The bleeding has stopped and is in a central location. We are waiting for swelling to go down. He told me today when I asked where he was, "hopsital" and when I asked why he was here he said, " I had an accident". It still quite isn't registering because he still tries to get up out of his bed and leave, but it is progress!

We have been told that with a brain injury the healing process takes time. There will be good and bad days. This is not an over night recovery, but one that may take several months. Some time will most likely be spent in a rehabilitation center. We are all hopeful that my dad will continue to make progress and slowly come back to being normal dad. Thanks for all the thoughts, prayers, and kind gestures that have been given to our family at this time. We are truly appreciative and blessed with such great family, neighbors, friends and loved ones!

Being in the ICU has truly humbled me and made me realize what a blessing it is to be here, today alive and living! To be able to tell your loved ones you love them is a miracle. "We may not have it all together, but together we have it all!"


  1. Oh man I hope he continues to get better! And I hope you and your family are doing okay. You are in my thoughts and prayers!

  2. So glad to hear he is making progress. He is in our thoughts and prayers. Please let us know what we can do.